Clothing Stores
   

H. J. Tuchscherer, Shoes

Henry J. Tuchscherer was born in this city 37 years ago. At the age of 17 he began to learn the shoemakers' trade of Jacob Stilp; later he ran a shop of his own, and on December 27, 1887, embarked in the shoe business in the old frame building that stood next to the Arnold block. On November 8, 1888, finding his quarters too small for his fast-increasing business, he moved into his present place of business at the corner of Main and Mill Street , which he purchased a few months since, and a fine half-tone cut of which is printed herewith. Here he has the finest-appointed shoe store in the two cities, with beautiful mirrored display windows and everything arranged with admirable taste.

Mr. Tuchscherer 's splendid success in business shows what a young man with grit, brains, enterprise and a keen appreciation and knowledge of the merits and science of advertising, for in the last named respect Menasha had no more skilled merchant. He has a genius for catchy advertising and the public is always eager to read what he has to say. Mr. Tuchscherer probably sells more shoes than any other dealer in the twin cities, and all because he thoroughly understands the requisites of business success. His family consisting of his wife and four children occupy rooms above the store. Mr Tuchscherer is ably assisted in the store by his brother-in-law Peter Kemmeter.

 

Image 6: HH.J. Tuchscherer Shoes, Store, corner Main & Mill, 1898

From: H.J. Tuchscherer's career from Semi-centennial edition of the Menasha Press, 1898, Historical, Biographical, Descriptive. p. 48
Image ID# hjtuscherershoespg58

   

Go Back One